Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Hand crafted holiday

It seems every year I try a different sort of craft project to give as a gift. When my little one was a baby I did mini albums. Last year I ventured into wall hangings. Here's a look at four gifts I created this year.

Project one
A desk box with note pads and pen - patterned after design by Linda Taylor.




This is the same card box I used to create my project for last week's Paper Thrills challenge!



CTMH Supplies used: card box, Wonderland paper packet, chocolate card stock, Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge, liquid glass.



Project two
Personalized coffee mugs.


These mugs were so simple to create using the Pebeo Porcelaine 150 paint marker. I ordered the marker online from an art supply store. I found the mugs at a dollar store. The paint marker was easy to use. It dries in about one day and then cures in the oven to a dishwasher safe finish. I was very happy with the bang for my buck (and my time) on this project.


I actually created coasters as a part of this gift, too, but I wasn't as happy with the way they turned out. If anybody has had success with coasters, let me know.


Project three
Embellished photo album.




This was a fun project to create. The album was an inexpensive one from Target, but I really liked it because it had ring bound pages so that the recipient (my mom) could add more photo pages if she wanted. It was easy to jazz up with some chipboard, die cut letters and paper flowers.




 
Project four
Framed quote

I purchased this frame with photo mat at a craft store with a coupon. I removed the glass and then returned the mat to the frame so that my embellishment space would not be limited. I used both sides of a piece of double sided paper to embellish the mat and the space behind the vellum quote. I further embellished the mat using grungeboard, paper flowers and a few pearls and gems.




I love giving hand crafted items because they are unique. Some of these items - the photo album and the frame - required very few supplies outside of my current stash. Some of these items - the desk boxes, the photo album and the frame - were very much in my papercrafting comfort zone. The mugs took me the furthest from my comfort zone, but I love the result (and the bang for my buck.) So, I love giving hand crafted items because they are unique, but also because I get to craft a bit of love into each project. The time I spend envisioning the gift, gathering the supplies and creating it are a part of my gift, too.

What about you, what did you craft this holiday season?

1 comment:

  1. Look at you, Ms. Crafty! Love all your projects! Unfortunately, there has been no crafting going on with me for the last few months. But at least I'm back to visiting blogs and CKMB. :)

    ReplyDelete