Monday, September 17, 2012

Project #7 - A book cover

Thirty six projects in 52 weeks seemed like a good goal in April. It is looking more daunting now. I am still working on creating projects. I vow I will get to 36; I'm just not sure when.

When I set this goal for myself, I hoped that the idea of projects would move me a bit out of my paper crafting comfort zone. I wanted to explore more and create some other types of projects. This project stretches those muscles a bit since I created a fabric book cover.

I'm teaching a new course at school this fall and it comes with a text book (unlike most of the courses I teach.) I knew I would ask my students to cover their books, so I thought I would set a good example. While I was at it I decided to make it a pretty example, too!

I found this idea in a tutorial on the Books and Crafts show at I measured the book, marked the fabric (I used my iron), and then used Stitch Witchery (a no-sew fabric adhesive.)

It was very easy, and I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I added canvas letters from the craft store clearance bin to the cover to identify the book as mine (just in case any others in the class had the same idea.)
The cover is staying on well. This style seems to work best as a fairly permanent fixture on a book. (I don't think it would be easily moved to another book) Thanks for the idea, Books and Crafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment