Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Designing a Four-Page Layout

Earlier this week I shared a four-page layout I created using a the Sarita paper pack and a True Fit Folio. Today, I want to share some of my thoughts about designing in this four-page format. When I design a layout with a folio, I turn the pages lots. I consider how the page will look with the folio open and with it closed. I think about my canvas as a two page layout (closed) and a three page layout (open).

As I turn the pages, I make similar design choices to those I would with any multiple page layout. I try to use similar organization - in this case photos grouped mostly in the center of the page with cardstock and pattern paper covering much of the base page. I try to include the same papers on each page of the layout - although in different proportions to keep it interesting. On each page in this layout I used two different pattern papers - the Outdoor Denim and Lagoon pattern and the multicolored textured pattern. I also used two colors of cardstock - Outdoor Denim and Gypsy.  I try to include the same types of embellishments on each page of the layout - although I vary the size and placement. On this layout I used mostly stamped embellishments and Lagoon washi tape. In short, I try to use similar elements to create unity over all four pages.

The left page - always visible.
I included the title here so that it would be a part of the layout open or closed. I used a photo that encapsulated the theme of the layout and one photo of each of my kids. This page gives the main idea of the layout.

Elements that will repeat:
Title and many accents stamped in Gypsy ink
Small starbursts in Goldrush ink
Washi tape stamped on Gypsy cardstock.

Notice all four papers on top of the base page.






Right page - visible when closed.

I used a couple of my favorite photos here since this page will be visible on first viewing the layout.

Repeating elements:
Word accents stamped in Gypsy ink
Stamped image in Goldrush ink near the bottom
Washi tape stamped on Gypsy cardstock.

Inside page top - visible above and to the right when Folio open.

The photos here focus on one event - the first gift of the season. The journaling on this page tells that story as well.

Repeating elements:
Word accents stamped in Gypsy ink
Washi tape stamped on Gypsy cardstock
Notice, there is no Goldrush stamping here except for the washi. This page just got too full. Although I set out to include these elements on each page of this layout, this exclusion doesn't bother me because there are so many other repeating elements.






Inside page bottom - visible next to left page when Folio open.

The photos here cover a range of events from the season. This collection of photos may seem random on its own, but combined with the other three pages, it works to tell the story.

Repeating elements:
Word accents stamped in Gypsy ink
Washi tape stamped on Gypsy cardstock

Notice, I broke my stamping pattern again using Outdoor Denim for the ornament accents. This was purely a practical choice. It was the only color that would show up on the dark pattern paper!










The Folio and coordinating products allowed me to create one unified layout that tells the story of our entire Advent season using 12 photos.

How do you record seasonal memories? What about events with many photos? 

No comments:

Post a Comment